Dec 24, 2008

Going Green for the Holidays

Christmas offers a thousand things for a cat to do. In my case, other than pawing the ornaments on the tree, often with mixed results, I love playing with the left-over mountain of wrapping paper and gift boxes. There is nothing quite like digging ones claws into crinkly tissue, except maybe chasing a runaway ball of yarn. I love it when I can stretch out and fall asleep on the tissue paper amid all the hubbub and chin wagging.

But this year everyone's gone green.That means no tissue, no crinkly paper, and nothing that would harm the ecosystem. Some folks use brown paper and spruce it up with dried twigs, sprigs of holly and dried berries. It's very homespun and au naturel, as they say in French. Others use newspaper as wrapping, going so far as to match story headlines with the gift. They make it appealing and witty, but be careful of newsprint stains, risky for white balls of fur like me.

And then there are reusable gift bags made of paper or cloth. Pops says that cloth ones are greener, especially if they are not whitened by bleaching. Looks like white is out. Oh dear!

If we go totally green, w
hat will become of this Christmas classic?



These are the sign of the times and, like everyone else, a kitten like me has to do my part. I paw the Holly sprigs and hide in the cloth bags. It's great fun!

Love and purrs,
Edelweiss
P.S. Check out the new comments!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Edelweiss,
    I like many of the same books as you do. I wonder if you might also enjoy "Mice on my Mind" by Bernard Waber - a very cat solution to that nagging problem of obsessive thought.

    I know it is my lack of perception, but I can't quite catch what you are saying on your Audio. I'm sure it is profound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Whiteness,
    I sympathize with your concern over the greening of Christmas, but you might ask Pops and Mops about a little honeysuckle duvet. My friend went nuts over it (although her sister remained aloof). No accounting for taste, I say.
    Cheers, dearie.
    Gringo-the-rushes-ho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks! I'll try "Mice on my Mind". Read where the cat protagonist (big word I just learned from Pops) is a blood donor, which will surely please Mops. Gee, I wonder if that cat and I are compatible? Mops tells me I am group A.

    Sorry my audio clip is a bit mangled. My meows were off that day.

    Honeysuckle duvet, eh? Sounds sweet and, unfortunately, like most of my feline kin, I hate sweet!

    Gringo - Goodness, me! That's not nice. Is it really your name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Whiteness,
    You might consider broadening your musical appreciation scope. Have you never heard that classic: Green grow the rushes, ho? Me, also being a cat of no colour, got saddled with what my parents perceive as a cutesy play-on-words name. I guess you could call me Grin, because I understand there is some Cheshire in my past. Or, were they talking about cheese, I wonder.....
    Grin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Edelweiss,
    You must come to Germany to have a completely green Christmas! But I found some puddles which were frozen over and I could play my favored game Puddle Jumper. It was a great fun.

    Cheerio!
    Bearbirds

    ReplyDelete